Monday, September 22, 2008

Random Thoughts

I'm sitting at my desk fully aware that I have real work to do, but I've been a procrastinator my entire life... so here I am blogging instead. Up until now I've been posting about significant things (well, significant to me) but today I thought that I just give you a glimpse in to my very random mind. Here we go...

The "Amazing" Race: (The Ultimate Reality TV...)

I can't wait for the election to be over! I don't know about you, but I am so sick of campaign ads that it's not even a pleasure to watch TV. Before I left for work yesterday morning the Today Show had a teaser as to what was coming up in their next half hour. One of the things they mentioned was "Why you can't get through a commercial break without seeing at least one campaign ad." It's a sad day when the media has to explain this to the general public.

I am in no way trying to come off as unpatriotic; I love this country and I am constantly telling my students that they need to remember how blessed we are that we live here. And yes, I still believe that. It's just been an extremely long race and I think our country is ready for the struggle for power to come to an end.

While I'm on the topic of campaigns let me get this off of my chest. Vote! Vote, vote, vote, vote, vote. And if you don't... Don't complain! OK, I feel better. :)


For voter registration information, visit the following link:




Cloth Diapers:


I know, you're asking yourself, "What the heck is she blogging about cloth diapers for?!?" (And, no, I'm not trying to imply anything either...) For some reason the topic of cloth diapers has come up several times in the past few weeks and I have to say that the idea of using them on my future children does not thrill me. We live in a nation, dare I say world, of convenience and it seems to me that disposable diapers are truly one of those great conveniences! I know that using cloth diapers will lessen our environmental fingerprint, but there are other ways that I do my best to recycle, reuse, reduce. However, I did read that you can go from newborn to potty trained for $300 with cloth diapers or $3,000 with disposable diapers. Now, this figure of $300 seems a bit low to me. If my figuring is correct, assuming that a diaper is changed anywhere from 7-10 times per day, and also assuming that the mommy doesn't live in the laundry room, wouldn't it be a wise idea to at least have 15 diapers on hand? Even with that, wouldn't you constantly be washing diapers? Since this topic keeps coming up within my circle of friends, I looked on line and found that the average price for a decent cloth diaper is $17.

$17 x 15= $255, and that's just for one size diaper. Factor in the different sizes, extra washing (water and electricity), detergent, and precious time and that cost goes even higher. Am I wrong?

(I have no idea who this baby is!)

That being said, I just learned that two of my friends, both with newborns, are using cloth diapers. I am truly interested in learning about their experiences! I won't say that I 100% against trying this when God blesses Adam and I with a child, but it's going to take a lot of convincing that it's worth it. :)



Thanksgiving:

I know it's still two months away, but I am excited to say that we will be hosting Thanksgiving at our house this year. My Mom, Dad, Brother Michael & family, and my in-laws will be joining us. I'm pretty excited that family will be traveling to us for a change! I'm also excited that my brother and his family will finally get to see our house! (Now I just need to get Christopher down here...) Speaking of our house, here are a few pictures that I took a while back but never posted:


Dining Room- I painted it Woodlawn Colonial Gray this summer



Kitchen-Painted it green, but can't remember the name of the color off the top of my head. My dad put up the awesome "tin" back splash for us on my parents last visit.





Our new kitchen table. Up until now we still had my table from college. It took us a while to find one that we both liked, complimented the space, and came at a reasonable price. We love it!




Family Room: I painted this room and the hallway by our garage Toasted Almond. I also hung the ceiling fan (all by myself, thank you very much!) early in the summer. I just recently hung new curtains on the windows in this room and the windows next to our kitchen table, but I don't have a picture to share of those yet.




Downstairs Powder room: This is the first room that I painted soon after we first moved in to the house almost a year and a half ago. I recently added the shelves above the toilet and I also found a curtain that matched all the colors of this bathroom perfectly.



A close up of the shelves



I stenciled this around the same time that I painted the bathroom



OK, so the pictures aren't exactly random thoughts, but I DID randomly add them. :)

That's all for now!
















2 comments:

Megan at My Heart, My Home said...

Hey lady! Nice random post, I actually like those! Loved your blurb about cloth diapers, haha, I totally know where that came from!

In regards to savings...here's a cool link to break it down for you (including electricity, water, etc.)
http://www.mother-ease.com/cloth-diapers/Savings

This is the brand I'm looking into. And also cloth diapers come in One-Size fits too...so they can grow with your baby and thus save money too. Just a thought...I'm not here to convert!

Sue said...

Uh.....hello?! Hello? Are you there still? (wink, wink)