Monday, October 20, 2008

Finally...

Ever since I was a little girl I have dreamed of what it would be like to have a baby of my own. I loved my baby dolls and I would wish they would be real babies for me to play with. I never grew out of it. As I got older I would dream of what it would be like to be pregnant. To take the test and see the positive result pop up. To cry and laugh. To share the exciting news with a loving husband. I am ecstatic to say that I finally know what those things feel like-- I'm PREGNANT!!

I had my suspicions last week; I was so tired that I would be asleep on the couch by 8 o' clock. I knew that my monthly visitor was due by the end of the week and I was praying that this month my visitor would finally get lost. :) Friday came and went and by the grace of God I was so busy that I didn't have much time to think about it during the day--well I thought about it, but I didn't obsess over it. Saturday morning I went out early to pick up a few things I needed to prepare dinner for company we were having on Saturday evening, so I picked up a test, too. On my way home Adam called me to let me know he was going out to pick up a few things himself--it was perfect timing. As soon as I got home I took the test. As I sat there waiting I prepared myself for the digital "not pregnant" that I saw last month. I gave myself a talking to saying, "If it's negative it's OK. You're period is late. You can test again another day." When I got done talking to myself I looked down at the test and saw it: PREGNANT. I lost it. I cried. I laughed. I momemtarily lost my voice. I kept saying, "Oh, my God....Oh, my God." And then "Thank you Lord!" over and over again. I was shaking. I looked at myself in the mirror and smiled. I'm going to be a mommy! Reliving it in my mind now is making me cry all over again...

The night before Adam had asked me to upload the rest of our Alaska pictures to the Walgreens website so that we could have the rest of the prints made. Thinking of this, I grabbed the camera
and took a picture of the test stick and uploaded it to the computer. When Adam got home I told him that I was going through the rest of the pictures online and that I needed his help to determine if a few of the pictures were already printed or not. When he come into the study the picture of the pregnancy test was on the computer. He looked at it. Got closer to it. Looked again. Looked at me. I was smiling and teary. He had a big smile on his face as he hugged me. I think it took a little bit for it to really sink in for him though.




I showed Adam a picture of what the baby looks like at 5 weeks pregnant and we agree that it looks like an alien. So, we've affectionatley named him or her so until further notice. :)

We are eagerly anticipating the ultrasound at my first doctor's visit on November 14th.



More updates to come!

No comments: