Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Retirement

My last day of "work" was this past Monday. My friend Megan and I joke around that we're retired since neither of us will be going back to work after our babies are born, but we both recognize that we are about to embark upon the hardest work of our lives--child rearing.

Anyway, I hung around with my coworkers in the cafeteria as we at lunch together on a teacher workday one last time; I finished packing up my classroom, took one last look around, thanked the Lord for giving me the opportunities I have had over the past three years, shut the light, and went on my way. As excited as I have been about the baby coming and being a stay at home mom, I couldn't help but shed a few tears. Ok, I cried a couple of times about it on the way home, and I'd be lying if I said that it's not making me a little teary-eyed now, but trust me, this is exactly what I want. I can't wait for my little boy to be here and to be his primary caretaker instead of sticking him in a daycare. I think I just know that my life is going to change in a major way, and as much as I want this change, I'm still going to spend some time grieving the loss of my life as I have known it for the past 29 years, but especially for the past 7 years that Adam and I have been together. I'd like to think how I'm feeling is normal! I keep telling myself it is...

Yesterday was my first official day of being a stay at home wife--I guess I really won't be a stay at home mom until Junebug arrives. I have been working harder the past two days than I have worked the past week as a teacher! I have been cleaning up a storm, partly because I think that the "nesting" syndrome has taken over, but also because I just know that certain things have to be done before this baby comes home and my house becomes full of people who want to meet him. I've been cleaning, organizing, reorganizing, throwing things away, and doing what feels like a million loads of laundry. Hopefully I'll be done by the end of the day tomorrow.

Speaking of tomorrow, I have an OB appointment, including an ultrasound, at 9:45 tomorrow morning. Hopefully we'll get an idea of how big is baby boy is! I'll post an update by the end of the week.

Only 9 more days til my due date! :)

No comments: