Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Tasty Tuesday: Pico de gallo

I used to hate tomatoes, but I've recently became a fan of grape tomatoes--delicious! I was in the mood for a quesadilla the other night so I broke out the griddle and got to work. Wanting to make my quesadilla just like the one I get at Qdoba, I decided to make my own pico and it turned out great.

Yes, I've made pico before, but I usually use Rotel or another canned item. I'm not a huge fan of canned foods, I'd much rather buy frozen fruits and veggies if I can't get them fresh, so I am super excited about this recipe. If you're using canned tomatoes to make your pico--STOP! This seriously is the best, most fresh pico I've ever had.


Pico de gallo:

Ingredients:

1 pint grape tomatoes
1 medium red onion
1 jalapeno
cilantro
salt
pepper

Directions:

After washing your tomatoes, quarter each grape tomato and place them in a medium sized bowl. Dice the red onion and add it to the tomatoes. Salt and Pepper the onion and tomatoes to taste. De-seed the jalapeno (unless you want your pico to be super hot! The seeds are the hottest part of the jalapeno.) dice it, and add it to the bowl. Take the cilantro off of the stems and give the leaves a rough chop. Or, you can use kitchen shears to cut the cilantro to the desired size. I love cilantro, so for me, the more the better. About 1 cup of loosely pack cilantro should be enough, but I probably add a tad more. Thoroughly mix the pico, adding more salt and pepper if desired. Enjoy!



I used this both inside my quesadilla and as a salsa on top and it was fantastic, but it would also be great with tortilla chips, in a salad, or as a topping for tacos.

No comments: